Sunday, February 09, 2014

Professionals

Today  on CBS Sunday Morning they did a story about "professional snugglers".
For $120.00 an hour, a person can purchase an hour of holding.
Married people, single people. It's catching on.
Apparently people aren't being touched enough.
Will and I looked at each other in horror.
"Look, I am not promoting this, but if you're going to pay $120.00, just get a hooker, Will."
"Wouldn't you just get a girlfriend?"

There are professionals for everything now, apparently.
If someone would have told me 7 years ago that Will and I needed a professional I would have told them to go suck it-BIG TIME.
Because here is ONE thing I was absolutely sure of when I met Will.
HE WAS THE ONE.
I didn't marry Will because it was safe or practical or because I "owed him one".
I married him because I was completely 1000 percent in love with him.
He was MY LOVE LIST. (google Oprah..you know we're there..)
The terrible horrible heartbreakingly sad part about some marriages, is that real life gets in the way:  babies, job changes, moves, bills, dishes on the counter instead of in the dishwasher, the milk on the counter instead of in the fridge, a bit too much wine, a bit too much post-partum,  messages that meant "nothing" but everything, misunderstandings that didn't quite get cleared up, silence and rage and tears and acceptance, and then....not...
Surprise!  Surprise! and then, finally, just too many damn surprises....
After awhile you look at each other in a daze: What happened here?
And then you almost wish it was as easy as a professional snuggler.
I didn't marry Will because I thought it was going to be easy.
That's a lie.
I did.
I married Will because I thought it was going to be easy.
 Not practical, not safe, but easy.
Because falling in love with him was just that: easy.
Our life has not been easy??!!!
It's been ANYTHING but easy!!
But I still remember why I married him.
And I know that he does too.
"Daddy, can I have a hug?"
 "You can, Maren, but it's going to cost you 120.00."
See?



No comments: