Friday, February 21, 2014

The Long Winter


Will just left with a screaming, crying Keegan: "No DAD! I don't want to! NO! I don't want it! NO!"
Horrible.
Keegan has decided he doesn't want to get his hair cut.
"For 20 thousand weeks!"
Jesus.
How many years is that?
If 52 weeks is a year...
I don't have time for the math..
I am not going to have my 6 1/2 year old son look like Ted Bundy! No, not Ted Bundy..I WANT him to look like Ted Bundy, he looked normal..I DON'T want him to look like that other Ted in the woods withe bombs..Kazinsky..right?
Keegan wants to look like the uni-bomber and I can't keep my criminal Teds straight.
This ladies and gentleman, is what happens in the YEAR OF THE LONG WINTER.
What did Laura Ingalls do?
What did Pa do?
Really?
Because we have all read the book and I LOVE the book.
It's perilous. They nearly starved.  It's cold. It's LONG.
But you know..ohhhh you know...there were days where Ma and Pa stomped around and never said a word to each other because SOMEONE should have gotten orange juice before the big snow fell. And someone ELSE should go PLAY WITH THE KIDS a little more and LEAVE MA alone because it's getting a little too close for quarters while she's making grilled cheese....
Laura and Mary probably fought like cats and dogs.. That wasn't in the book. Ohhhhhh no.  Nothing was ever mentioned about tattle telling:
"She keeps showing me her butt"
"What are you talking about?  She has zip up pajamas on! And they're zipped up!"
and the same Princess Sophia episode over and over and over again...
Yep. I would just LOVE to know what really went down in that little log cabin.
But, alas, we will never know.
Suffice to say, you know it wasn't perfect.
I am sitting on pins and needles waiting  for them to get home from the BIG CUT.
I will keep you posted.
In the meantime, I'm digging out my old copy of The Long Winter.  May as well get comfortable. We're in for the long haul.



No comments: