Monday, December 09, 2013

Do UTI What I Hear?

Well it's my favorite time of the year:  pine needle collecting!
Oh! It seems like only yesterday I was vacuuming dried up pine needles..and in fact, it WAS yesterday and now here I am TODAY sweeping up FRESH NEW pine needles...........sigh....
I love Christmas trees.
But ours is officially up with just three quick twists because Will has his handy dandy tree stand that he bought last year for $15.00.
"The best $15.00 I've ever spent."
He has mentioned the tree stand several times during the year, as well, so this means there's been some fantasizing..waiting..anticipating..
Look, I don't care. I only had to hold the tree still for 2 minutes instead of 65 like years past.
We let the kids decorate the tree and this means that every heavy ornament sagged down the front and there are no ornaments past two feet up, and we only had to fish one hook out of Kieran's mouth.
"DAD! He's eating it!!"
After they went to bed I rearranged most of them. I can't reach much higher, though.
They had a good time. And it's super fun to watch them get so excited about the decorations.
"Why are there so many bird's nests?"
"They're your mother's"
Sigh.
 So  I will put on a happy face and pick up pine needles for the next 12 months.

I got out all of the pictures with Santa and the kids back to 2009.
"Where's the baby?"
"Mom," Keegan said disgustedly, "We didn't have the baby."
Good Lord. We did NOT have the baby.
How could that be?
Haven't we always had Kieran?
I think this is a good sign. He makes our family complete, and it's hard to remember a time when we didn't have three.
It's hard to remember yesterday, so it's not really an excuse, I realize, but I love having three children even if I feel extremely weary right now. We have such a gift.
Speaking of gifts, I have a horrible urinary tract infection. I have chills, a fever and my kidneys ache. I have not been to the doctor yet, but I go this afternoon. I was NOT going to sit in Urgent Care on a Sunday afternoon for 3 hours because that is 3 hours I simply do not have in my life to waste.   So I bought some numbing pills that make you pee bright orange ( I did NOT share that with my children because the bathroom is already enough of a circus-thank you- and I really did NOT need every pee being a show) and I also took a test on Saturday night to confirm that yes, I do in fact have a UTI.
Apparently now, you can pee on a strip, just like a pregnancy test, and magically you can find out if you are UTI positive.
Well look, we all know I am extremely gifted at peeing on strips and getting positive results.
Will and I went out for dinner on Saturday, so why not take the test during a nice quiet evening?
"Just go pee on it and see if you have it."
"Now? In the restaurant bathroom? That's not very romantic."
"Honey, you're in pain. Just go do it."
Sigh.. So I did. And I couldn't see shit because of COURSE it's dark in a restaurant, unless you're eating at Wendy's, which we weren't, so I couldn't compare the strip to the key anyway.
Test strip in purse.
"Well, do you have one?"
"I don't know. I can't SEE it."
"Give it to me."
"What? Will. Give you my pee strip? At the table?"
"Look it's no different than testing the pond water. Just hand it over."
Guh.  On the one hand, I thought this was really really nice. He was willing to read my UTI pee strip, right THERE at dinner. He must love me.
On the other HAND, I was thinking about all the times, I had stuck my HANDS in that pond water.
Pond water FULL of fish...probably with UTI's...
Sigh.
"Yep, look here, you've got one. Just like the fish."
Anyway, I still think it was nice.
It helps that Will is seeing how stressful things are for me.  He is working A LOT. If he isn't working, he is DRIVING to work and back. Sometimes he is on the road 4 hours a day, just to get back and forth to work. That's ridiculous.  You'd think he was using a horse and wagon!
Affirming that life is not easy is sometimes what I need.
Ok, I could also use a nanny and a housekeeper. That would be good too.
But the affirmation is a good start.
It is a lot easier to be snippy and meant than to use kind words and have a soft heart. We get hardened because of outside stressors. It's important to remember that we have 3 little beings that rely on us more than anything. They have this hero worship thing going on..it's actually quite nice.
It's so much easier when he and I play on the same team.
Oh I hope I get some drugs for this ridiculous infection..it will be my luck she says no wine..
Pine needles everywhere and no wine...please NO!










No comments: