Saturday, December 14, 2013

Y Not.

The kids really want to go to the Y today.
I guess this means we have to join the Y again.
Do you know how many times I've joined and quit the YMCA since we moved here?
......................I'm counting...................hold on.................................................................
It might be six.
Sigh.
But I'm waiting until Will gets home because I am not going through that shit by myself.
"You need six forms of ID. We need your children's fingerprints, a lock of hair, your mortgage statement, and you must wear a turtleneck when you run. It's on "the thing".
And that will be just to get in the FIRST time.

My youngest brother in law and sister in law are having their first baby. They are like 15 years younger than Will and I (ok not THAT much).
They are the "textbook" couple whereas Will and I are the "Cliff Notes" couple.
They are having a reveal party to announce the sex of their baby and I cannot even begin to tell you the anxiety this gives me.
I literally break out into a sweat just thinking about a coming out party to reveal the gender of the baby in front of everyone you know.
Women will tell you that they do not care whether they are having a boy or a girl as long as it is healthy.
This is the politically correct, God is listening, answer.
And I do believe in SOME cases there are women who TRULY feel this way: they've been trying for years, etc.  you know there are always those exceptions.
But most of us sway one way or the other.
I remember sitting at a basketball game and watching my little niece dance at half time. I was pregnant with Maren at the time and we didn't know yet that we were having a Maren. I just ached because I thought: Oh my heavens. What if I don't have a little girl to dress in tutus and take to gymnastics, and buy princesses for? I realized how important this suddenly was to me..
Now look, for some people it's not important.  I get that.
But deep down a lot of women have a preference.
It takes a really collected person to find out in front of a whole crowd of people. And it's something that seems so personal if it doesn't go the way you were hoping deep deep down...Oh my lord. And no alcohol either!  You know if you were really hoping..oh I can barely type my palms are so sweaty.
Look, I give my sister in law full props for her party, I do. She has chops that I will never have. And I am sure because it's their first baby they are just more excited that it's a BABY, whichever way it comes out.
No matter what we will have a new cousin to play with and Kieran will have a new buddy his age.
And thankfully Will didn't make me have a revealing party because he would have had to sedate me until it was over..
"What are we having? What's everyone celebrating? Is it over? Can I go home now?"
So everything works out for everyone in the best possible way!

Just like this afternoon when we try to join the Y again. I am sure that is going to be success with a capital S!


No comments: