Sunday, October 20, 2013

He's Not Ruined

Oh for Lord's sake. Will bought a calendar from the neighbor boy to support his Youth Hockey career and it was 25 dollars.
What the eff?
25.00 is two bottles of good wine.
And now we have a calendar filled with all of my present and past students who were some of the most difficult. PROOF my FRIENDS that hockey is NOT always a sport of positive life skills.
I rest my case.
I don't feel like I owe the neighbors anything else for the year.  We have purchased candy, cookies (super! for Type 1 diabetes kids!)  and the most expensive calendar on the planet from their children.
They owe me a new handbag.
I am having a hard time lately with the amount of shit that kids are signed up for. And maybe it's my guilty mom complex kicking in because right now Keegan and Maren are signed up for exactly.....well, hmmm...let's see..a plate decorating class in November, and I think Maren is going to a princess party around the same time.
IF I get our Y bill up to date, we will do swimming lessons. But that is it right now.
I know people who have their 6 year old scheduled 5 nights a week.
I know people who have their 3 year olds DOUBLE booked! "Well, we have juggling at 5 pm on Wednesday and then it's dance at 6:00 and then at 7:00 she has Mandarin Chinese. So no, we aren't going to be able to play."
Sigh.
Is Keegan going to be REALLY behind? Is he just going to be a HUGE loser in middle school because he didn't start basketball when he was 1?  I am finding a hard time believing this.
Right now, he's ahead in math and reading in kindergarten. Aren't these things important?  Shouldn't I be thrilled that my son is doing GREAT in school?
He loves to draw. He's imaginative, and when his cat died, he cried and said he was glad he was going to heaven with his Grandpa Woody.
Isn't it GOOD that my son is compassionate and loving?  I mean, those are good traits in a six year old right?
Look, if Keegan suddenly came home and yelled: "Mom, put me in hockey with all those little pric-s you were talking about!  Mom, I KNOW you were spelling pric-s the other day! I can spell!" (see! he's ahead in school) we would listen, consider it, and tell him....NO, you aren't playing hockey, but let's try tennis again.
In any case, it's difficult knowing if we're doing the right thing. But I like to believe that there are a lot of years ahead of us, and that Keegan, being the boy he is, will help us shape his decisions.  Just by being Keegan: bright, funny, and smart:  "Keegan that word is NOT a kid word. Sometimes Momma spells BAD words.  See Daddy's face? He doesn't like when Mom spells those words..........."





No comments: