Monday, August 18, 2014

Proud Mama?

So, every year, when it's time to go back to school, we get a letter in the mail from our current principal welcoming us back and updating us on who's new to the staff, what our schedule looks like for the year, what sucky duties people have, etc. etc.
This was my 20th letter.
It didn't phase me a bit.
I'm fine with it all.
Until I read the part about: "send in your proudest moment of the summer" picture.
And then I fell apart.
Perhaps it was because I had just finished scrubbing Sharpie marker off the Pergo, and Barbie nail polish out of Kieran's hair, and off his face and tummy and..cat puke off the stairs..and all four of us had just finished crying about any number of things...like who needed a nap most or why Maren couldn't have a cookie at 9 am or why Keegan couldn't buy the $400.00 retired Harry Potter Lego set off up Ebay that he had put in the cart..how did you manage to learn how use Ebay this summer???...
Maybe it was the fact that I hadn't showered in two days..or that playing in the plastic pool outside constituted as my shower..or that I had just told my sister in law I was "running four miles comfortably" for a race in September but then hadn't run since texting her...three days ago..because Vodka with my neighbor is more fun than running..
What in the EFF did I have to add to our school's "PROUD moments first day back at workshop" slide show?
I had a melt down right there in the kitchen.  (Another one.)
Here's the deal.
I know that I have many things to be proud about this summer.
But if I send a picture of any of them..no one is going to get it. (Is that a WalMart receipt? And a roast chicken? Are those empty Absolut bottles? I think that Will's ass....And mountains..) I don't want to have to explain. I'm too old or tired or over it to do that.
I'm too PROUD.
It's my, (our) stuff. And I don't feel like sharing.
The friends that know me, know those precious moments because I have SHARED them already.
The other people are colleagues, and I would just like to keep it that way.
If something comes up during the year that I feel is noteworthy, I will let them know.
Right now, leave me alone and let me get ready for the school year. Let me get my head wrapped around leaving my babies every day at daycare and sending my diabetic son off to first grade.
Let me deal with this in my own way.
Don't make me share right now.
When I am a principal (hahahaha) I will tread lightly on back to school toes.  I think I will just buy my people some good  coffee, give the ol', boy am I glad to see you speech, and play a Pointer Sister's song to get 'em up and moving. I don't think I will try to bond a bunch of people who either know each other's business from Facebook anyway, or steer clear of it because they like to keep it private (WHO COULD THAT BE????!!!!)  And if a slide show is really THAT important, then focus on what we're there for...teaching and learning.
Because that is something that definitely can unite us all.
Okay. Well, with that said and me feeling a lot better now, I am off to do some of the things that make me proud with the people who make me proud.
As soon as I clean up their mess....
Sigh.

No comments: