Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Next Day

We spent 5 hours in diabetic training yesterday after finding out about Keegan's condition at 10:15 am.
I threw up in the car on the way home and then again at home from a migraine.
Keegan screamed bloody murder every time Will needed to use the "checker" or the "pen".
It was a completely horrible shitsville day.
Today was better. NOT great, but better.
By the second "checker" Keegan was able to push the button on his clicker all by himself.
By tonight's shot-his fifth for the day-it only took three minutes to get him situated rather than the 15 minutes of screaming and finnagling last night.
Will and I were able to talk through everything that Keegan ate and did today without once getting snippy at each other.
What I have learned so far in the 24 hours since the news are these things:
Stay off the internet, unless it's a valid source from our "binder" of information from the U.
Fairview has an amazing group of doctor's who have completely rallied around us. Our pediatrician from Minneapolis called us today to see how we were doing-and we haven't seen her since this summer!  Amazing network!
Keegan is strong and resilient. He is showing me that we can do this.
It is too early for me to do anything except keep track of his levels and practice using the checker and pens. Trying to learn everything about food right now is too much.
That's what our training is for.
It is too early to think about the future or worry about things. Believe me, I have a whole list of worries that I have just had to pack away.
Keegan has been asleep since 8 and his levels were the lowest this afternoon that they have been so far.
Those are good things and that's what I'll concentrate on as I fall asleep.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

SOOOO HAPPY to hear that today was a better day.