Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Daycare

I caught a grammatical error in my last blog..I used "there" instead of "their"...I am slipping..I teach English..
okay..I teach 7th grade English..which means really I referree hormones, but still, I HAVE a degree in English..you would think I would catch that..

Today we visited Keegan's daycare..I don't know anyone who feels just SUPER about leaving their baby with someone else while they go off to work for 8 plus hours a day..unless that someone is their own mother..My mother can't live with us because no matter how much I bribe my step-father, he isn't ready to part with her yet...(oh I am JUST kidding!)

Anyway, I have been scoping out our daycare lady all summer because she lives across the road..so if she did anything really weird like make the three year old mow the lawn or have the toddlers jogging laps, I could pull out quickly..I had one lady picked out before Keegan was born, Deanna, but then I found Emmy, the lady across the road..MUCH BETTER (well as far as I have spied)..so I had to break up with Deanna..this was awkward, and until you have had to end it with a daycare lady..you won't know what I mean..unless you have been in one of those: "I-really-don't-like-this-person-I-wish-I-could-end-it -but-I-don't-know-how" relationships...
WELL, I have been in plenty of those!!! So I knew exactly what to do: AVOIDANCE!
I didn't return Deanna's phone calls, when I did I was wishy-washy: "Um, yeah, well, I don't know..I might stay home instead of going back to work." I lied.
Eventually she just ended it in a voicemail. Presto. Problem solved.
(Do not attempt this with a real relationship. It will bite you in the ass. Take it from me. Hey, I said I had been in those kinds of relationships; I didn't say it worked.)
ANYWAY. I found Emmy and she is just daycare lady-ish perfection. Today we visited and all the little kids were fascinated with Keegan. I got teary-eyed just watching them circle around him:
"Is he ticklish?"
"Can I hold him?"
"Can I pet him?" (CAN I PET HIM? I should send that to Bill Cosby or something!)
It was like a Walt Disney movie! I am NOT KIDDING YOU!!!!
Keegan ate it up!!!
Already he knows how to work the girls..Where did he inherit that? WILL?
I think we will be talking when he gets home from work. Maybe he didn't tell me everything about his college days.

So I think daycare will be FINE for him and I don't have anything to worry about, which is a relief...so going back to teach squirrely 7th graders after spending all summer with my snuggly smiley baby will be super super easy...right? RIGHT??????????????????

No comments: